Friday, October 30, 2020

Praise Him for His Caring

 




Warner Sallman


When I shut up the heavens so there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.

                                            2 Chronicles 7:13-15 (NIV)

 

I have often quoted the middle verse of this passage. Most of us know it by heart.

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

My focus in this post is the first part. 

When I shut up the heavens so there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people,

Here in the Midwest, we went for several weeks without any measurable amount of rain. Out west, several states have had severe forest fires. The southern states have had three hurricanes and one tropical storm made landfall in a short period of time. Also, there is one more that might make landfall in the same path that the others have taken. Scientists have discovered killer wasps in a tree in the Pacific Northwest. And, we still have the Coronavirus with us. Do these things not sound like serious plagues to us?

 

God says something wonderful in these last words of this passage.

Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.

God tells Solomon that He will hear and will watch over the prayers offered in the temple. God also hears the prayers of those who live for Christ. We must all be praying for our nation, for those who are ill, and for those who attempt to guide us through these times of uncertainty.

 

6 comments:

  1. There is so much going on all around us in our land. We, who are in a "safe spot" (for now), do not always realize just how bad it is for others and we become complacent. May God help us stay alert and ready for action when needed. May He also protect us and keep us under His wings. Thank you for this post. There is SO much to pray for these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is so much to pray for these days. My friend's husband died on Thursday afternoon. The man who had COVID. It was hard to hear but her dad called us. When I asked how she was doing, he said she seemed more relaxed when she returned from the hospital. She was able to be with him at the end. God is in control.

      Delete
  2. Appreciating always that God is in control; our part is to be humble and contrite. For a contrite people Joel 2:25 says, "And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmer-worm, my great army which I sent among you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David: You are right. Our part is to be humble and contrite. Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete
  3. A time without rain... unthinkable in The Netherlands :)
    God hears our prayers, He does. I don't always get it why nothing seems to change when we pray, but He hears us, He does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: We discussed why God says 'No' to some of our prayers. "No, it's not time." No, it's not for you." No, it's not right for what I want for the world at this time." "No, it's not safe to do that now." These were some of the thoughts one lady had. We have to trust Him without reservation.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

God Alone

  Jesus and the children at our church's prayer walk.          I will both lie down in peace and sleep;  For You alone, O LORD make ...