Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Let Every Heart Prepare

 











A voice of one calling in the desert. Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.

                                Isaiah 40:3, Matthew 3:3 (NIV)

 

We all know the Christmas carol, Joy to the World. The words, “Let every heart prepare Him room.” Give me pause. We prepare our homes—cleaning, rearranging, decorating. I used to make candy. Shopping for that one special gift for each person on our list.

 

During this Christmas season, things will be different. We have the pandemic raging around us. Personally, I am housebound as I heal from major surgery. It could be another two weeks before I being to feel like doing anything toward preparing our home for Christmas.

 

During these times of lockdown, shutdown, or whatever you wish to call them, I have fallen out of certain habits. I believe I need to get back in step and do what I must do to regain my relationship with God. No, He has not left me, but I feel that I am not as close to Him as I once was.

 

At the end of November, I started a re-read of the book, True Worshipers. On the first Sunday of Advent, I started reading a devotional booklet, Our Greatest Gift, A Wonderful Life in Christ by Michael Hoy. It is a devotional booklet that our Sunday school class would be studying, had we been able to meet.

 

I once heard a dear Christian lady tell a group of us that we must prepare for worship as we would prepare for company or a vacation. Shouldn’t we prepare our hearts to celebrate Christ’s birth?

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Oh Cecelia, what a post, and not because I just found out you are reading True Worshipers again :) Let every heart prepare....
    What do we do to prepare room for Him? A good thought.
    I hope your recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja, This healing is a very slow process. I will be in this process until about the middle of January. I am learning more about worship as I re-read your book. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we need to prepare our hearts...and make ROOM for the Christ Child to enter in. Christmas doesn't just happen without preparation, and we are in need of preparing our hearts for the true Christmas worship and celebration. I hope you are getting stronger every day. I know what it is like to recuperate from major surgery. Take it slow and easy...don't try to push too hard. Christmas will still be Christmas, even if you have to celebrate from your easy chair. It's what's in the heart that matters most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Healing has been a slow process. They want me to still be in the healing mode for two full months. I have not even started to decorate. Jim is having issues with one of his arms. I can't ask him to go out to the yardbarn and even look for the things stored out there. God will provide. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Decorations do not make or break a good Christmas. Remember, "Immanuel, God with us"...that is what it's all about. Not the decorations, tree, or presents...just enjoying the Presence of the Lord . God with us. Amen. Take care and don't despair!! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good. We do need to prepare our hearts for worship. He is a holy God and is the only one worthy of praise, honor and glory! I'm glad you're taking steps to draw closer to Him. He will reveal Himself to you!

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

April Reflections

  See-Saw Weather I know that April is not fully spring weather. I was privileged to get some on my porch for two whole days abou...