Friday, August 20, 2021

Life is a Gift

 

Krexy.com 

Your eyes saw my unformed body.

    all the days ordained for me were written in your book

    before one of them came to be.

 

As we go through our lives, we learn how precious life is. We don’t realize it when we are growing up. It is only as adults who know the LORD that we learn this.

Inside the gift of life, we are given a certain number of days. Each of those days is also a gift. We must thank God for each day He gives us.  We should do this for even the trying days that life brings.

I personally know of four families who have lost loved ones in the past two weeks. All four families have a connection to our church. Our pastor had two of the funerals on the same day.  The other families’ loved ones had their own church and pastors.

I remember a saying I heard many years ago. “Our lives are God’s gift to us. What we do with our lives is our gift to Him.” I found this graphic that says it best. 

Personally, I wonder how many days I have wasted. Now, when I thank Him for the day, I ask Him to not let me waste it. But even then, I believe I fail to do His will on some days.   

 

I once heard the line: “Only what’s done for Christ will last. “ I discovered it is a poem by C.T. Studd. Here is the whole poem.


 Only One Life By: C.T. Studd

 

Two little lines I heard one day,

Traveling along life’s busy way;

 

Bringing conviction to my heart,

And from my mind would not depart;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

 

 

Only one life, yes only one,

Soon will its fleeting hours be done;

Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet,

And stand before His Judgement seat;

Only one life,’ twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

 

 

Only one life, the still small voice,

Gently pleads for a better choice

Bidding me selfish aims to leave,

And to God’s holy will to cleave;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

 

 

Only one life, a few brief years,

Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;

Each with its clays I must fulfill,

living for self or in His will;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

When this bright world would tempt me sore,

When Satan would a victory score;

When self would seek to have its way,

Then help me Lord with joy to say;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

Give me Father, a purpose deep,

In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;

Faithful and true what e’er the strife,

Pleasing Thee in my daily life;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

 

Oh let my love with fervor burn,

And from the world now let me turn;

Living for Thee, and Thee alone,

Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;

Only one life, ’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 

 

Only one life, yes only one,

Now let me say, “Thy will be done”;

And when at last I’ll hear the call,

I know I’ll say “t’was worth it all”;

Only one life, ‘twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

 


4 comments:

  1. I love that message/song "Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last." I remember first seeing that on a little plaque that belonged to my husband's grandmother. I don't know what happened to it...I wish I had it. Life is a gift to be used in service to our Lord and Savior. I know I've missed a lot of opportunities, but I try to do my best. God knows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for your kind thoughts. I often wonder if what I have done has helped people see Christ. I believe God forgives us when we miss the opportunity to allow others to see Christ. Peace and blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Cecelia, for your thoughts. One life... I often think about that, am I using my time well. Not by being busy, but by being an instrument in His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marja: I think about that myself. Especially, since I have had one health issue after another. But yet, I feel God uses us during the difficult times as well as the good times.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...