Friday, September 10, 2021

A Priest Prepares

 

ezraministry.org.nz


               

                For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel.  Ezra 7:10 (NKJV)

 

Ezra, a priest and a scribe in Israel prepared his heart before he began to help rebuild Israel after the first Babylonian exile.

 

What does it mean that Ezra prepared his heart? My NIV translation says it like this:” For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel.”

  

  What does that tell us today? We must spend time in the Word of God in order to understand what we see happening in our nation and our world. We must also observe those commandments of God and commands that Jesus makes for us.

 

We all have something in our lives that we need to alter in order to prepare our hearts for God to work through us.

 

My Life Application Bible has a note on this verse and the ones preceding it. “He was effective because he was a well-versed student of the Law of the LORD, and he was determined to obey those laws. He taught through both his speaking and his example.” (Page 784)

 

Personally, I have developed a lot of bad habits during this COVID pandemic. I plan on doing something about them and replace them with good, godly ones.   

                  

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia, I think we all have developed some bad habits one way or the other during this strange time, maybe simply by not being being disciplined and focused as we used to be. Let's prepare our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your thoughtful comment. You are correct. We all have developed some bad habits through these times. We all DO need to prepare our hearts to become the example of God for those around us. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful lesson today. Yes, I think we all have developed some bad habits during covid. I know I've gotten lazy and I've put on a lot of weight, which makes me feel worse. Trying hard to get back to being more active, but when it is so hot I don't feel like doing anything much. I usually come back to life in the fall. We started our ladies' Bible study back today, on the book of James, with Elizabeth George. It should be a good study. I need to do that. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you. I am trying to be more active. I went to an ecumenical women's meeting this morning. I came home and after lunch, I started working with some silk flowers. I am a hostess for our Women's Circle in early November. Three days before my best friend will be the hostess at the ecumenical meeting at our church. I have a call and a text to her to see if she would want to use the flower arrangements on the tables. Also, trying to work on a Christmas project. I have to have at least one test done at the hospital at the end of this week. I saw something that I don't believe is quite as it should be. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...