Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Apostle's Creed

Sallman painting





 1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:

2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:

3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:

4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:

5. The third day he rose again from the dead:

6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:

7. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:

8. I believe in the Holy Ghost:

9. I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:

10. The forgiveness of sins:

1l. The resurrection of the body:

12. And the life everlasting. Amen.

Since our church's disaffiliation of our old denomination and joining a new denomination, we have been reciting The Apostle's Creed at the beginning of most services. I find this refreshing to do. These words give me a lot to think on. 

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Cecelia! We recite it, too, but in the old order of service. It is such a powerful affirmation.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha Jane: I find in comforting to recite it. I feel I have something to anchor me when I have doubts. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some churches here they do it. I believe in proclamations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your thoughts. I loved reciting the words to the Apostle's Creed. It intensified my beliefs. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. We usually recite it on the first Sunday of the month, with our communion liturgy. I love to read it. I wish they'd change the wording of the "holy catholic church" to holy universal church. Too many people don't understand the meaning of "catholic" with the little "c", so they are confused as to why we say that. Other than that, I love the Apostle's Creed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam: In our hymnal there are two versions, the Methodist version and the Ecumenical version. However, both read "catholic" church with an asterisk that says the word also means "universal". Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very nice! In the church of my husband they are using this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arieth: Thank you for stopping by my blog. I believe we should all know what we believe and the history of our Christianity, Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

August Reflections

  lacyazorleepages,dev Getting Back in the Swing of Things I thought I found myself getting back to feeling like doing some things....