Tuesday, August 29, 2023

God Be Merciful and Bless Us

 

Warner Sallman 


God be merciful to us and bless us,

And cause His face to shine upon us.

Selah

That Your way may be known on earth,

Your salvation among the nations.

Psalm 67:1-2 (NKJV)



These verses form an invocation. The writer asks God’s blessing on the people through His mercy. The scribes ask those hearing, and later, reading these words to ponder or think about them.


The psalmist believes that God’s way will become known to all who inhabit the earth.

Even today, there are places on our earth that need to know the One True God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and ( ). We must pray for the people striving to bring the gospel to those nations.

We must also remember that a lot of our neighbors might not have heard of Jesus. We also must keep in mind those who have forsaken Him.


As I refine this entry, I am reminded that we, as Christians, may be the only Bible some people read. We must ask God to keep us near to Himself and let His light shine forth through us, His children.

8 comments:

  1. It's so true, Cecelia, that we might be the only Bible others read, and our lives should reflect the love of Jesus at every turn.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: Thank you for your kind thought, Just this past Sunday in Sunday school, a man in our class, a recent widower, told that he goes to a friend's house, and they work. Recently, the friend told him, "You're the only Christian I know." My response was, "You are the only Bible he reads." We all should be more careful to show Jesus to others, sometimes we can do that by our actions and not by words.

      Delete
  2. When we think of ourselves as living epistles, it makes sense doesn't it? People are watching, so is God. He helps us and guides us in the right direction (which may be a person that needs some encouragement today).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your kind comment. You are right, we should think of ourselves as living epistles and it does make sense. Bing somewhat housebound limits my interaction to phone calls and internet messages. I have learned so much from reading and praying about people and their needs. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have often thought that we may be "the only Bible that others may ever see", or "the only Jesus that others may see", and so it behooves us to live like Jesus would want us to live and LOVE like Jesus would want us to love. That's a tough assignment, but He is always here to help us get through it. Thank you for this good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: We don't think of ourselves as 'the only Bible people read' until we mature in Christ. A few minutes ago, I got off the phone with a young woman at a business I needed to ask a question of. I got frustrated because she and I were not on the same page. I was frustrated. I just asked God to forgive me for my attitude. Yes, I have three fingers pointing back at me. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Amen. I love the Psalm 67, and all the Psalms. Beautiful meditation in your post about all the nations coming to worship the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Praise the LORD, all ye peoples! (Not sure the reference to that, but that line just came to my heart!!)
    Blessings and shalom to you and all your family.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shayndel: Thank you for your kind words. I recently spent time reading through the Psalms. They were very beautiful and calming. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

JOY

  For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NK...