Thursday, August 3, 2023

>July Reflections









Surprise at Church 
 We all got a surprise at church one Sunday. As each of us entered the building, a couple of conference tables were set up. On each table were stacks of tee shirts, all green with white lettering. The church purchased these to help us “get the word out” about our new denominational tie. Some of the men put the tees on over their shirts they originally wore that Sunday. They actually ran out of one size; they are going to order more of that size. The next Sunday, they had those sizes that they didn’t have earlier.

 Possibly Getting New Neighbors

 The house across the street from us was abandoned almost two years ago. I pray for our neighborhood. I prayed for that house and whoever God wanted to live there. In mid-May, a crew started remodeling that house. It took almost a month and a half. Then a “for sale” sign went in the front yard. I did an Internet search and found out more about the house. A week later, I went in again and found the notice that there was a sale pending. Actually, there are two other houses for sale on our block. 

 A Couple of Blessings 

 I wear a medical compression sleeve to contain my Lymphedema, a complication of breast cancer. One of my sleeves recently developed a hole in it (the second one, I was able to fix the first one.) Jim thought I should get another one. The two I previously received had a high price tag. The insurance would not cover the costs. I called my “nurse navigator” and asked her a couple of questions. She told me that there was a store at one of the sister-hospitals in Indianapolis. This store sells directly to patients for at least 1/5 of what the insurance denied. (That’s blessing number one.) 

 Our church has joined the Global Methodist Church. The office manager called me and told me she had gotten an email from the denomination asking for someone to take on the role of “Prayer Point Person” for our church in the denomination. She told me that the treasurer, the pastor’s wife and she all thought of me. (That’s blessing number two.) I accepted.

 Going Visiting

 Jim and I took a weekend and went down to where he grew up. He wanted to get some sweet corn and watermelons. We used to do this several years ago. We haven’t been down there in 15 months. Roger, our son, lives rather close to our friend. They went fishing at our friend’s pond. Three of Jim’s friends from school. Our friend’s brother-in-law and his great-grandson all came out to that pond to see Jim. We came home with two watermelons, three cantaloupes, two dozen ears of corn and a bonus of a quantity of frozen fish fillets. Writing Project I posted part of my writing project on a forum I belong to. My project is to create a Vacation Bible School program. What I posted were five opening skits where each night the emcee interviews a Biblical characters that the children will hear about in the story staion. There will be a craft station where each night, the craft will relate to the Biblical person of the evening. I have also included some “oldie but goody” children’s songs to be used in the opening each night. I want to keep this simple and inexpensive. My working title is: Old Fashioned Vacation Bible School


 Reading 

 I am presently reading the book of Psalms. As of August 3rd, I am starting to read the third book. I have not written much lately. I guess it is due to the “Summer Doldrums”, it is too hot to think on things. (So, I tell myself!)

6 comments:

  1. There sure are a lot of happenings in your neck of the woods, Cecelia! What an honor to be the prayer point person for your new denomination, and to design the vacation Bible school curriculum. I pray all goes well for you in this, that your new neighbors are delightful, and that you can save lots of money in getting that device you need.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: Thank you for your kind comments. Most of the time, I feel very lazy. Then, I start writing the reflections and realize how much has been going on. Would you believe that I have scheduled dates for some activities into September and am aware of a meeting at the end of October? Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. I am excited for your church that you've already made into the Global Methodist Church. We are still working on it, and hope to have everything done by December. I wish it could be sooner. I love the idea of the t-shirts, etc., to tell people about it, and that you will be the "prayer point" person for your church. That is quite an honor! I love the little trip you and Jim took and met up with old friends, etc., and came home with so much good stuff! That was really nice! I will be praying for your new neighbors too! I pray they will be really good neighbors to you in every way! I love the sounds of the VBS program you are writing! Sounds wonderful for the kids. I am glad you are able to get a new sleeve at a lower cost also. This was a newsy post and I loved it!! Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam: Thank you for the kind thoughts. I received an email yesterday that the PPPs will have a ZOOM meeting early next month. I also received an email that our Transitional Annual Conference (Great Lakes Conference, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan) will meet towards the end of October. Thank you for your prayers. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to pop in and see how you were after the last prayer request e-mail! What a strong foundation in Christ you have. Following your King continually. Prayers for your health, spiritual life and church changes. Sending love and a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn: Thank you for checking up on me. Thank you for the beautiful words about my foundation and that I follow my King continually. Thank you for your prayers. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

WORSHIP SONGS

VICTORY IN JESUS An old hymn with a different voice. A new song. Our praise band played and sang it. Jesus Strong and Kind This is one I rea...