Thursday, February 8, 2024

God Alone

 

SlideServe



I will both lie down in peace and sleep;

For You alone, O LORD make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 4:8 (NKJV)


Words penned by David.


Having had too many nights with either minimal or no sleep, I picked up my Bible and read this verse. A dear friend shared it with me many years ago.


What I realized as I went through another sleepless night was that I was not trusting God for some things going on around me that may affect me.


This verse tells me that David would be able to rest in peace and then sleep. He then tells the LORD that He alone keeps him safe.


How did God keep David safe? By being with him during the times Saul was chasing him. When his son was hunting him down.


This issue of trust is connected to faith. I have learned that we must have faith in order to trust God without reservations. Years ago, the pastor I sat under said that a lot of people practice “Billy Goat” religion. They say they believed in God, then the next word they said was.”But”.


A scripture passage I found recently has given me pause. “Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him; But the just shall live by his faith.” Habakkuk 2:4 (NKJV) I believe I need to learn to live by faith more than I do.


Prayer,


Father God. Please help us, Your children, to trust you more as we live each day for You. Guide us as we make decisions and as we talk to those we meet in our daily activities, In Jesus’ Name, I pray. AMEN


9 comments:

  1. Amen! I like the quote about the "Billy Goat faith". Yes, we always want to add that "but" afterwards, because we just can't quite figure out how God could really take care of our situation. We just can't realize that God knows so much more than we do about our situation...He can see from the beginning to the end, and He knows exactly what needs to take place regardless of our "buts". I like this. Thank you for sharing. I pray you will "lie down in peace and sleep" tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I don't think people realize that when we give Jesus our hearts that He becomes ruler of all our hearts, souls, and minds. If we were to stop and reflect on our lives, I believe we would be surprised by the number of times He has been there either guiding us through or rescuing us from something. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. I've thought deeply about trusting in God for everything, Cecelia, especially with all that's been happening. The Lord is my refuge and my strength.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: I am finding out how much God is my refuge and strength. God is in control of ALL things. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Rajani: Thank you for stopping by. Feel free to visit when you can. Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The verse from David's writings resonates deeply, illustrating his reliance on God's protection and peace, even in the midst of adversity.

    Check out my new post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody: Thank you for stopping by and for your insightful comment. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  5. Oh Cecelia, I have recited that verse often when I had trouble sleeping. it is a promise from His Word! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...