Monday, March 31, 2014

Book Review: Amazed and Confused (When God’s Actions Collide With Our Expectations)




 By Heather Zempel

Mrs. Zempel explores the messages of the book of Habakkuk through shining a light onto the complaints of the prophet.

As the author points out the discussion between Habakkuk and the Lord God, we find that God is not necessarily nice. His actions sometimes confuse us. God chooses to allow wrong things to happen to His children. He intended to use the Babylonians to rout Jerusalem. He tells Habakkuk his plan.

Mrs. Zempel makes us examine our faith and the presence of God in our everyday circumstances.
She reminds her readers, “. . . but the righteous shall live by faith.”(Habakkuk 2:4)

She makes a distinction between an ‘if’ faith and an ‘if not’ faith. We all know the story of Meshach, Shadrack, and Abed-nego. They believed that God would rescue them from the fiery furnace but ‘even if He doesn’t, we will still go through it.’ Heather calls this, ‘if not’ faith.

On the inside of the front cover is an attached flyleaf with a very interesting thought. “If you get seated next to Habakkuk at the marriage supper of the Lamb, you won’t have to say, ‘I’m sorry, I never read your book.’” She then gives the reader some helps to correct this oversight a lot of us might have.
I found this Bible Study very well-done. It caused me to ponder my own idea of faith and the need for God’s presence in all situations of my life. I have shared some of the questions and exercises in this study with some of my Christian sisters and brothers.

I would recommend this book to women who would want to better understand the story of Habakkuk and his relationship with the Lord. One drawback I see, and this concerns me is the book might be one that is priced out of range of a lot of women.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Collins Christian Publishing, Inc. via Thomas Nelson Publishing through its Book Look Bloggers program. All I was asked to do was give an honest review.

graphic: www.heatherzempel.com

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the info and review. It sounds like an interesting book. I was just in Habakkuk, reading a scripture, actually. I need to go back and read the book and then maybe read this book. Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Thank you for stopping in. One of my favorite scriptures is Habakkuk 3:17-18. You are welcome.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review, Cecelia. I had never thought about who I'd sit next to at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb! And I have read Habbakuk's book, since my husband has preached through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette: thank you for visiting my blog today, I had not thought about who I would be next to at that Supper either, Hmm! I wonder who it will be. I don't believe I have heard any preacher speak on Habakkuk before. You are welcome,

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting thought, "If not" faith. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, too. I have used it in a prayer group I am a part of.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...