Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ultimate Humility




“And being found in the appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death
even death on a cross.”
Philippians 2:8 (NIV)


“. . . he humbled himself. . . .” Jesus’ attitude was unlike any we have seen. He allowed Himself to be taken from the garden of Gethsemane, away from those who followed and loved Him. The soldiers removed Him to a place where He received beatings, scourging, and the highest form of disrespect-they spat upon Him. Before his agony was over, the soldiers had gambled for His clothing. The soldiers also mocked him, saying, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”

“. . . and became obedient to death. . . .” Our Lord obeyed the Father; accepted God’s will and submitted to the ultimate sacrifice. He gave His very life in order that you and I might live with God forever.

“. . . even death on a cross.” Execution on a cross was a horrible death, reserved for the most heinous of criminals. It seems ironic that Jesus Christ, the only perfect person to walk this earth, would have to endure this kind of treatment. But God chose to allow this to happen. I wonder; did God permit this to come about in this way in order for all of our sins, no matter how horrible, to be covered by Christ’s blood?

Dear Jesus:

            We thank You for the sacrifice You gave on the cross for us. We want to live worthy of Your selfless act. We praise You for who You are. In Jesus’ name, we pray. AMEN.

graphic: worshippingchristian.org

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia! I love your prayer at the end of this study. How I pray to be worthy of such a sacrifice...unbelievable how much he loved us all. It's kind of overwhelming, isn't it?

    He really shows me how to be obedient as he was. God is not asking for me for my physical life (yet), but he does ask me to lay down the things I think I need, but I really don't. I have to try and be brave like our Savior.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: Thank you for your kind comments. During this time of Lent, I am faced with the desire to partake of sweets, even though I gave them up. It's tough when the counter at Golden Corral has so many desserts. The strange part of this is I am looking at things I wouldn't normally want. On my birthday, recently, I had birthday cake but I had not had two Sundays as mini- Easters.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...