Saturday, June 20, 2015

Intensely Saddened

Junglejournalis.tfiles.wordpress.com




I don’t usually comment here in my blog about current events. But I have decided to make an exception.

I had started my devotional reading last Thursday when my husband came into my writing room. He told me about the mass murder of nine people in a church in Charleston, South Carolina.

            Nine people attended the Wednesday Night Bible Study at their church, greeted a visitor and proceeded with their Bible Study and prayers. An hour later, the visitor allegedly rose and opened fire on those in attendance.

            This church happened to be an Afro-American church and the visitor was Caucasian. The police identify this as a hate crime.

            The news of this horrific crime has affected people of faith all across our nation. Those who are seeking to run for president have made statements on the issue. President Obama gave a very moving statement.

            My thoughts have been about those people who were killed. What were their plans for this weekend? Were they going to have a Father’s Day celebration? Did they have to go to the grocery to pick up some milk after they would have left church? Were any of them awaiting the birth of a grandchild, niece or nephew?

            I am very sorry that this nice city and those who call it home have to go through this tragedy and its aftermath. I do know those nine people were ushered into God’s presence and welcomed by His opened arms.


Please, pray for the families, for that local church, and the AME church as a whole. Also, remember the first responders as they work through their emotions about what they endured as they did their jobs. Also pray for the city of Charleston.

6 comments:

  1. So sad Cecelia and what a courage and grace to forgive... I am amazed and shocked at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja. I still can't get this out of my mind.

      Delete
  2. It has been a sobering shock to all of our nation this week. We can only pray that somehow something positive will come from this regarding race relations in our country. It is heartwarming to see how so many have embraced these hurting families and this grieving community, regardless of race. I also pray for this young man who is obviously so deranged and confused to have ever done something so heinous. But God can reach down into the heart of this young man and heal and save him...if he will just open his heart and realize what he's done. The people there have already offered forgiveness to him. I pray he will ask God to forgive him as well...and that he will be ready to meet his creator. Eternity is a very long time. So very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam, for your thoughts. Yes, he can, if he will, reach out to God. That is his only way out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cecelia! I think it's a wonderful thing to address this current event. You hear about things like this, and it just punches you in the gut. Why are we killing each other? Why is there so much hate?
    Your questions were so touching. What were they planning? They were just like you and me, and meeting to discuss the word of a God who loves us all. It's so confusing...

    I hope we can all forgive this obviously sick child, just as the church in So. Carolina did. They are truly teaching us about walking the world as Jesus did.
    God bless your tender heart,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ceil, for your warm and comforting comments. You make a valid point when you say "It's so confusing, , ,"

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...