Tuesday, May 21, 2019

We Need to Humble Ourselves



 
Due to some concerns and anxieties that some of my friends and I have experienced, I found myself fretting over some issues I could not completely put out of my mind. I remembered this scripture and studied it again. Please bear with me as I explain what it means to me.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV) 

Humble yourselves--when we look at our habits, our ways, and our activities, through God’s eyes and compare them to His teachings and what He expects from us, we humble ourselves.

under the mighty hand of God under God’s direction. All our thoughts, words, and actions must come through the filters He gives us. (see Philippians 4:8-9)

at the proper time, -- God will act on our needs and the requests we make when He sees we are ready. We might have to grow closer to Him to understand what is happening around us.

he may exalt you; -- He will use his discretion to lift us up. He is the One who calls the shots, makes the decisions about circumstances in our lives.

casting-- Picture a fisherman as he throws his line into the water. He reaches back over his shoulder, rod in hand, placing his arm behind him or her. The angler brings that arm across his body. The line flies across the water. The hook lands a great distance from him or her.

all your anxieties-- I find the important word here is “ALL”. We are not to withhold any fear or concern from God. Nothing is too small or insignificant for God to handle.

because he cares for you. -- God made each of us. Because of that, He loves us. When we have times when we think no one cares about us God does care.

Will you please pray for us for the next seven weeks? 



7 comments:

  1. I love that word ALL as well Cecelia, all your anxieties, makes life easier doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you. I have had a crisis of faith today. It's been a roller coaster ride of late. Today was the worst. Then I come here and see your comment. I need to turn ALL of what I am feeling over to Him because He is the only one who can remedy what I feel.

      Delete
    2. Oh Cecelia, faith that has not been tested is no faith at all the Bible says. So even your crisis will turn out for the better. I am praying for you my lady, for God's peace to flood your soul!

      Delete
  2. What an important verse, Cecelia. I need to remind myself of this truth often. YES, I will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time on your blog. I've come over from Closed Doors, Open Windows and the verse I thought of after reading your post was Romans 8:28 'And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him.' There's that word again. He works ALL things for your good. He's working in your situation right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy: Thank you for stopping by. Yes, God is working in this situation as I go through my days. He is drawing me closer to Him. He is showing me things that He wants me to see. Your visit here has blessed me. Please feel free to stop in whenever you can. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

God Alone

  Jesus and the children at our church's prayer walk.          I will both lie down in peace and sleep;  For You alone, O LORD make ...