Wednesday, February 17, 2021

God Sees Me-Hagar

 


 

selondonsa.com 

 

She gave the name to the LORD who spoke to her, “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, Ï have now seen the One who sees me.” Genesis 16:13 (NIV)

 

Abram had been promised by God to become the father of nations. However, he and Sarai had no children. Sarai grew impatient and hatched a plan.

 

She had a servant, named Hagar, who she would give to Abram in order that she, Sarai, could have a child through Hagar.

 

Hagar did conceive. She grew to despise Sarai. Sarai told Abram how Hagar had become mean to her. Abram shrugged off his responsibility and said, ”Do whatever you think is best.” Sarai mistreated her servant Hagar. Hagar ran away.

 

The angel of the LORD approached Hagar close to a spring in the desert. He asked her where had been and where she was going.

 

I find it interesting that Hagar only answered part of his question. Ï am running away from my mistress Sarai.” It does not look as if Hagar had any plans beyond getting away from Sarai.

 

The angel of God tells her to return to Sarai and then gives her a promise. Her son will be made into a nation. He will be a “wild donkey.” He will not be liked by many people.  

 

Hagar named the angel of God. She called him “You are the God who sees me, for she said, Ï have now seen the One who sees me.”

 

As we enter the Lenten season, we must look for personal signs that God sees us and allows us to see Him.

 

 

               

                 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this story of Hagar. Hagar doesn't get much positive credit...but I do like this part of the story. Yes, God DOES see us and He is ever mindful of our condition. I pray He does see me and that He will guide me each step of my path so that I don't veer off course into a wilderness. And yes, I do see Him in so many places and faces around me. God is always present...we just need to open our eyes and see. Thank you for this thoughtful message today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I was impressed with this passage. God DOES see us as we go through the good times and the not so good times. Like you said, we need to open our eyes and look for Him. It is my plan to continue this thought throughout Lent, spotlighting different Bible heroes.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

April Reflections

  See-Saw Weather I know that April is not fully spring weather. I was privileged to get some on my porch for two whole days abou...