Monday, June 28, 2021

Serving God in Small Ways

 

               

Pinterest


 

Lord, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief. Psalm 143:1 (NIV)

 

It happened on a Friday morning. My best friend called to share a prayer request with me. Her son-in-law had a difficult night. He is a cancer survivor.

 

Her daughter wanted us to pray. I prayed for them right then. My friend and I talked some more. I started to say something but found myself verbally praying again. The next day, I found out that the doctor gave them an answer for his pain and a prescription for that pain.

 

My prayer list is lengthy and grows throughout each month. We had taken a trip that week down to where my husband grew up and where our son lives. We saw Hubby’s best friend and his wife. In conversing with our friend, we learned of two other families who are going through difficult circumstances. After we got back home, we received a call from someone from down there whose wife is seriously ill and has been for a few years.

 

As I sit on my porch and type this essay. A car pulls into the driveway next door. A young man goes to the door and the new neighbor comes out. He assists her to the car, and she gets in. Her husband returns home. I heard her say she had a doctor's appointment. I met her almost a week earlier and she shared with me her physical condition. I have been praying for her when I can.

 

That week was a learning experience for me. The acts of service to the LORD can be as simple as saying a prayer, giving assistance to someone who needs it, or saying a kind word to someone who might need it. Smiling at someone who seems down.

 

All I can do for these people is pray. This might seem a small way for God to be served but He hears and answers the prayers of His people.       

4 comments:

  1. Your prayers mean a lot...and God hears every one of them. I once met a woman who was completely bedridden with MS. She couldn't do anything except lay in her bed. But her walls were covered with pictures of missionaries and special people that she prayed for every single day. That was her ministry, even laying on her bed and not able to move on her own. She could still pray. And I know God heard her prayers. She even prayed for us, my husband was a young pastor who was the guest speaker at her church that day, and she could listen to the church service from her bedroom via a special telephone connection and loud speaker into her room (before live streaming was ever heard of). We went to her house after church to meet her in person, with our three young sons in tow. She prayed for us. I will never forget her. That was at least 38 years ago. It really blessed my heart that day and still does. So keep praying. It matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems small Cecelia, but it is actually the biggest thing you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marja: Thank you for this encouraging thought.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...