Thursday, July 1, 2021

June Reflections

 

Bing Images


 

General Thoughts on June

 

June was an interesting month. We had warm weather, hot weather, and not-so-warm weather.  I managed to get in some porch time on the warm days.

 

 My Book Reading

 

Thus far this year, I have read 15 books. Eight of the books were fiction. I am reading a series from Guideposts called Mysteries of Lancaster County. The stories are set in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

Three sisters live in their late parent’s home and operate a store called Secondhand Blessings. Along with reselling items for the home, vintage clothes, and whatever people consign with them or they purchase from people in the area, they also sell baked goods that one of the sisters creates.

 

Seven books were Christian books. One of which I read for the second time. Two were small gift books, one of which was on prayer. One of the regular books was on Prayer. One was encouraging the readers to remain faithful through the difficulties of life. One was a devotional book aimed at women who had breast cancer. One was a book I selected to review. One was a classic.

 

The last weekend of the month was incredibly quiet for us. The power pack that controls our Internet, Television, and Telephones (landline) chose to stop working. My best friend said I was living in medieval times. When I texted our son about the circumstance, I said I felt as if I lived on Gilligan’s Island. This happened on Friday night. We could not get a technician to come until Sunday.

 

 A Project

 

One of the ladies on my shepherd list for church suffered a stroke a few months ago. Her younger son moved her down near his home. The last time I talked to her, she said she was going to an assisted living facility down there. I called her son and he hoped to get her into one. Before I talked to him, I got the idea that I wanted to do something for her. God gave me the idea to make a grapevine wreath for her front door. I had some silk flowers that I have not used, and I purchased some bushes of baby’s breath. I ordered and am awaiting a grapevine wreath base. It came and it needs some help, it is too drab for what I want to do.

 

Getting Back to “Normal”

I attended an ecumenical women’s group meeting at the end of June.  I also sat down and organized my thoughts for this blog. I am slowly feeling like I have some energy. I have two follow-up appointments in July. Our son is going camping over the long weekend of July 4th. He said he would be home the next weekend. He has not been home since March. We did see him for a short time when we went down there two weeks ago. We had supper with him, and he came to our hotel room for a while.

 

Pockitudes, etc

 

One of my blogging friends, Dawn, over at Enthusiastically, Dawn, https://enthusiasticallydawn.com/ wrote about some small journals (pockitudes)https://www.pockitudes.com/ she found back in January. I liked the format of them. I know someone who may benefit from using one. So, I ordered a package.

 

One of my Facebook friends has a new book coming out in early October. I had given a copy of his last book to my best friend for Christmas. She liked what he said in the book. So, I pre-ordered two of them, one for me and one for her. I am doing my Christmas shopping early this year. I have also ordered and received a book for our son.

 Baking

I have spent some time in May and June making cranberry muffins. I had to refrain from doing that due to Hubby’s blood sugar and I found out what caused my cancer. It was estrogen. I asked the radiation doctor, when I had to see her recently, how, at my age could I have estrogen in my body. She told me that estrogen was made by fat cells. Therefore, no more muffins or cookies for me (for a while, anyway).     

4 comments:

  1. Estrogen made by fat cells? Yikes! I never heard of that! Interesting to know this. I do love cranberry muffins, however. Haven't had any in a while. I never have any orange zest or juice on hand to make them as we don't drink it, and that's what makes the cranberry muffins so good...the orange flavor! You've done a lot of good reading. I haven't been reading much lately. Not sure why. I just can't seem to get back into it. Except for blogs and keeping up with friends online. That takes enough of my time. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I enjoyed your post. Always love to hear about you and your family, etc. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I use a product from our Kroger affiliate store. It's in the deli department. It's called "Cranberry Celebration". It saves me some time. Jim likes them. He told me he wanted me to make some for the holiday. But he forgot to get the cranberries. I have some things to get at the store later today.

      Delete
  2. Dear Cecelia, your blog is like a beautiful peaceful retreat from the internets otherwise blustery, busy onslaught. Keep at it please!
    Love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn: Thank you. I sometimes have doubts about what God wants me to do for Him. Been doing some baking and a few floral crafts plus watching the Film-Noir movies on Turner Classic Movies. Some local friends and I discovered Murdoch Mysteries. Peace and blessings to you and to your husband.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...