Friday, July 16, 2021

Jesus’ Mission


               

Etsy

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me because the Lord has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners. Isaiah 61:1 (NIV)

 

As we honor God in our world today, we may receive a special urge from Him to perform a task that will give someone the opportunity to know Him or even to know Him better.

 

I recently heard of a church that has a soup kitchen every Tuesday. I need to add that church to my prayer list. They are trying to reach and provide help for the poor in their area of town.

 

Another church in our city has a bereavement ministry that hold public meetings once a month.

 

In our downtown area are four ministry organizations. One serves men who have been incarcerated. Their ministry is to teach these men skills that will make them employable.

 

Another is a center that ministers to homeless men. They also have a store that re-sells items donated by the public. Recently, this center opened an auxiliary center that gives the homeless a place to do laundry and take showers. The main center made arrangements with the United States Post Office to allow those that use this site to have an address to pick up mail.

 

 A new ministry in that area is a shelter for homeless women. The women’s circle at my church collects items for this women’s shelter.

 

 I believe that all these ministry agencies in our town are fulfilling the mission of Jesus as they assist those who are in need.

There is a building that provides retirement housing to senior citizens that have weekly Bible studies for their residents. Before COVID they had people from the community volunteer to lead these studies. This building and an assisted living are locally owned by the local faith communities of our area.

2 comments:

  1. I was in the process of writing my comment when lightning struck and our computers went down, but we are back up again. Now I have to try and remember what I was saying! I believe I was commending your town on having so many wonderful ministries to people in need. It is important for us to be the hands and feet of Jesus in this lost and dying world of hurting people. Not always easy for us to do, but if everyone does their part, many lives will be "saved". Thank you for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I thank you for your thoughful comment. Yes, we are to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Prayer for those ministries helps them to continue to do His work. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...