Friday, September 2, 2022

August Reflections

https://lymphedematreatmentact.org/ 

https://www.calendarpedia.co.uk/



Writing


I consented to give a lesson at our church women’s group for September. (I had to ask others to fill in for me for two earlier months.) Usually, I try to connect the lesson to some holiday coming up. September is not fall and is the end of summer. After praying about it, I decided to give a lesson on prayer.


I spent one Sunday afternoon writing on the month’s blog theme, Faithfulness. I needed to do this because I am aware of people struggling with issues in their lives.


I am searching again for paying outlets where I can submit my writing.


Advocacy Efforts


I received an email from one of our U. S. Senators. This particular senator is a co-sponsor of the Lymphedema Treatment Act. He talked favorably about the good the passing of the bill would do. He said he would remember what I pointed out when the bill comes up for a vote.


Town Hall Meeting with our U. S. Representative


On August 13th, I attended a “Town Hall” meeting in a neighboring town. Our U. S. Representative hosted two in our area on that day. I attended the one closer to our home.


My purpose for attending was as an advocate for the Lymphedema Treatment Act. https://lymphedematreatmentact.org/


The format was that people filled out a card with a question they wanted to ask this woman. A member of her staff read certain questions. (My question was not presented to her.) She was supposed to be there for one hour. She talked for 10 minutes before she started answering questions. She went over her time by 15 minutes. After the meeting broke up, I approached one of the staff members with the fact that my question was not presented. She directed me to a gentleman sitting at a table across the room. After he took my information, he said,”Thank you for the information. I have not heard of this bill before.” Our representative has chosen not to co-sponsor this vital bill.

Low-intensity Tornado


On Monday, August 1st. Parts of our end of our city received high winds, at first thought to be straight line. Several trees were taken out at a city park not far from our home. That immediate neighborhood had downed trees blocking the street. Several houses still had trees down in their yards on Sunday. Our church yard, two blocks east, had four trees uprooted. The tornado also picked up a plastic playhouse out of our playground and smashed it against an outbuilding on the property. The people of the church and one person connected to one of our outreach ministries cut up the trees.


I am feeling better.

I have been able to try to get some things done here at home. I even started writing sort of a story about our times. I am also working on 2023 blog themes and scriptures.


I need to make out a cleaning schedule as well as a writing schedule to follow. I used to do a writing one but I wasn’t faithful in following it.


Home Project


I have wanted to do something to give our kitchen a face-lift. Jim said something earlier to the man who does our handyman work for us about painting the kitchen cabinets. We recently decided it was time to act. I did not want the cabinets and cupboards to be white again. We went and picked out paint. I chose a shade of light gray. The next project he has in mind is to lay new flooring in the kitchen.


Surprises For Me

The end of the month, Jim went to the grocery store to get two items. He came home with several grocery items but forgot to get what he went for. One of the extra things he brought home was a dozen roses for me. He didn’t give any reason. They are in a vase on our coffee table. When I get flowers, I try to keep them for as long as possible.

As as an added surprise. He purchased some serving bowls. We needed them. He purchased several of them. I don’t know why he got so many but they will be nice to have.






6 comments:

  1. I love that your hubby brought you roses and extra serving bowls because he wanted you to have these special items. I hope you forgave him for forgetting what he was supposed to get at the store! LOL. The surprise was much more important, and I'm sure you can always go back and get what you needed. I am hoping the lymphedema bill will go through. I have been praying for you in this effort. Oh, new kitchen makeover? Sounds wonderful!!! Gray is the new white these days. I am always amazed at how much gray paint our son uses to refinish furniture and people love it. With coordinating accessories it will be very pretty. You should do some before and after photos. I am sorry to hear about the wind damage at your church, etc. Glad no one was injured. I hope you and your hubby are doing well. Fall is on its way! Are you noticing any changes there yet? It will be a while before we have much difference here, but we can "pretend" and get ready for it. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam: Thank you for your wonderful thoughts. I need to get the kitchen cabinets washed down before our handy man comes to sand them. The Senators and Rpresentatives are on a break. When they return they wil have two or two and a half months before the end of this Congressional Session. If this bill does not get passed by the end of this session. We get to start over again to seek cosponsors. Thank you for your prayers. The serving bowls are very nice. We still have warm sunny days here. When we get the first frost, things will change. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband sounds just like mine, Cecelia - so thoughtful in bringing home gifts that I've neither earned nor deserve. Sounds a lot like God's grace! I must admit, I've never heard of the Lymphedema Treatment Act, but will take the time to look it up on Google. I'm so glad to know that you've chosen to become active in government to see our country move in the right direction.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog; I'm now following you on Blogger.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your monthly reflections Cecelia, often it feels like I get to know you a little bit better by reading about your daily life! I am glad you are feeling better and are thinking about upcoming projects, whether that is writing or upgrading your kitchen cabinets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja. I find it helpful to look back and see what I have done. Here it is September, already, where did the time go?

      Delete
  5. Martha: Thank you for your warm and thoughtful comment. We live in Indiana. There are 7,000+ people who have lymphedema living in this state. Once this condition begins, it is a life-long issue for those who have it. Treatment involves wearing a compression garment daily. The medical people suggest a person have two new ones every six months, one to wear and one to wash each day. Medicare does not cover these garments. These is also one that we are to wear at night. Peace and blessings to you and yours

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...