Wednesday, August 31, 2022

God Keeps Promises

 

Pinterest


                                         Therefore know that the LORD your God, 

                                               He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant 

                                               and mercy for a thousand generations with those who 

                                               love Him and keep His commandments. 

                                                                                        Deuteronomy 7:9 (NKJV)


Words of Moses to those Israelites who did not know of God’s attributes and goodness. (These pilgrims were 60 years old and younger.)[1] Deuteronomy means “retelling”


In this passage, Moses tells them that God is faithful not to just them and their parents but to those who love Him and keep His commandments for a thousand generations.


Moses states that God will keep His promises (covenants) and mercies for a very long time. (When I was a teenager, a youth group advisor said a generation was usually, on average, 26 years.)


There is a condition in this thought. The people must love God and keep His commandments. I once heard that if we break one of the Ten Commandments, we have broken them all. While this statement sounds harsh, I understand it. I believe it may have a domino effect.


It is the duty of God’s children to model Christlike behavior, to exemplify how He wants us to live our lives before others, and to speak loving words on His behalf.


Yes, we all fall short of these goals. When we fail, we need to seek His forgiveness and start over again. His grace and mercy allow us to do this.



______________


[1] Jeremiah Study Bible, David Jeremiah, Worthy, Hatchette Book Group, Study Note page 238.


2 comments:

  1. Two of my kids are prodigals and I love this verse as a promise that He will keep His promises to a thousand generations. "If you raise up a child in the way he will go..." I stand by faith that my girls will come back to Him! This is an encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a relative who had two children. She once told me she did not approve of the way either of them were living but they were STILL
    her children. I decided that was the best definition of unconditional love I had ever heard. Peace and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

April Reflections

  See-Saw Weather I know that April is not fully spring weather. I was privileged to get some on my porch for two whole days abou...