Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Rest Denied

 



Therefore, I was angry with that generation,

And said, ’They always go astray in their heart,

And they have not known My ways.’

So I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter My rest.

Hebrews 3:10-11 (NKJV)

These are the words of the Holy Spirit. I believe we don’t find words of this kind often in our Bibles.


The Holy Spirit speaks of the way that His love of the children of Israel was not returned to Him. When things didn’t go as they expected the Israelites rebelled against God and His Spirit. God tolerated their “roller coaster” behavior for a lot of years.


As I initially typed this entry, I remember the story of the gold calf. Moses was summoned up to the mountaintop by the LORD. The people got impatient for his return. the people y asked Aaron to make them gods to go before them. The said they didn’t know what became of Moses. I believe that Aaron could have said, “ No, we will wait for Moses. He is our leader.”

Aaron could have reminded them that God had chosen Moses to lead them out of bondage. But he didn’t.


Because of their disobedience to God, the children of Israel wandered in the desert for 40 years.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Aaron regretted his hasty decision the rest of his days?
    Blessings, Cecelia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha: I don't believe we will know until we see Jesus. You raise a good question. Thank you. Peace and blessings.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...