Thursday, January 19, 2023

Rest for the Heavy Laden

 



Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV)


Words spoken by Jesus.


In this passage, Jesus invites certain people to Him. Those to whom He extends His hand have fallen into a special group of society.


He addresses those who are overworked, have a lot of responsibility that has been thrust upon them, those who are under a lot of tension. There are those that have issues laid on them by others.


He tells them that He will guide them through to be stronger as they learn of Him.


In Jesus’ day, taking the yoke of another meant coming under that person's leadership and walking in that person’s footsteps.” 1


My best friend is going for physical therapy at this time. She goes, gets her treatment and then comes home and rests for a while. We all need to follow Jesus’ invitation when we find ourselves stretched to the limit of our endurance either physically, mentally, or emotionally.


At church this past Sunday, we sang the following hymn. I don't think I ever heard it before. I love the message.


                            




4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this little but powerful devotional. I hope your friend has a good period of rest after the hard thing. Wish her a lot of strength from me.

    Yes, there is only true rest in Him, in Jesus. Let's keep our eyes on Him. And write about Him. He is everything to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aritha: Thank you for your kind thoughts for my friend. This theme is opening my eyes to the serious need for God's people to rest. Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. We do need to intentionally rest in the Lord, Cecelia. He is our source of peace and calm.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha: This idea of resting in the Lord seems to be something that modern day people have almost abandoned. The Lord knows who choose to follow Him in all they do. Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...