Tuesday, September 26, 2023

The Basics of Forgiveness

 





Forgive- Webster’s New World Dictionary defines forgive as:


(1.) to give up resentment, or the desire to punish, to pardon.


(2.) to overlook an offense,


(3.) to cancel a debt.


I once heard that, when we forgive someone for something, we do it in order to help ourselves get over or through a hurtful condition.


When we ask Jesus into our hearts, we ask Him to forgive us for our sins. In the Lord’s Prayer, we ask: “Forgive us our trespassed (transgressions) as we forgive those who trespass (transgress) against us.”


Also, I read where a person can forgive and it be on three different relational levels. I am sorry, I don’t remember the source.

1.) Forgive and forget, letting the relationship continue as nothing has happened.


2.) Forgive but be wary of a recurrence of the transgression. This may keep the relationship cordial but not like it was before.


3.) Forgive but sever ties with the other person. Sometimes we have to do this in order to go on with our lives.


When the hurt is serious, we can approach God and ask Him to forgive that other person for us. I personally know He does this when we ask Him.


                                                                         



4 comments:

  1. Matthew 6:14-16
    14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
    That seems pretty cut and dried to me...if we forgive others, God will forgive us. If we don't forgive others, neither will God forgive us. Something we need to always keep in mind when we hold on to grudges. But yes, there are those three steps in forgiveness that are true...sometimes we just have to forgive and let go altogether. It's hard, but sometimes that is easier than the alternative. Great post and good thoughts for today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for your insightful thoughts. I once heard that holding a grudge against someone only hurts us, not the other person. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. I'm currently in a season of trying to forgive someone of a very deep betrayal. It's not easy, and I have to do it over and over. The relationship won't be restored, even with forgiveness, but I'll be able to move on easier knowing that I have forgiven them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: I fully understand your state. I had to ask God to forgive someone for me before I could mentally and emotionally let go. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

JOY

  For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NK...