Friday, November 3, 2023

October Reflections

 


First Frost, etc.


We had our first frost early in the month. Our furnace has been very active at times. When our son called on the 28th, he told me that we were to have a heavy frost early that next week. My mental response was “Ti's the season!” The weather forecast for Hallowe’en was snow. Our son, living 100 miles south of us, said it snowed there that day.


Planning for next year


I am further along in my planning for 2024.

I have planned for themes for all 12 months. I think I have chosen my word for the year. Since I decided on one word, I have had another word sound good. As I sat in church on the last Sunday of the month, another word I heard sounded like a good one as well.


We Got Our Shots


On a day that Jim seemed to be feeling good, we went to the pharmacy to receive our flu and COVID-19 shots. We then went out to eat. Along the way across town to a restaurant he seems to like, we watched to see which trees had started turning.


Reading


I am reading a book on prayer. The premise of the book is the reader(s) read it five times. It encompasses different chapters in the book of acts. The focus is on the carrying out of the message of Jesus to our modern-day
world similar to the way the apostles did in the book of Acts. In the Bible, the book of Acts has 28 chapters. The author’s message is that we continue their work. The title of this book is Acts 29 It is written by Rev Terry Teykl.


In trying to locate something I have misplaced, I ran across a small but powerful book entitled Three Simple Rules, A Wesleyan Way of Living. It is a small book. I received it from the leader of my Sunday school class. It has helped me see some things I need to be more mindful of in my daily life and contact with people.


Prayer Vigil at Church


Because of our church’s aligning with the Global Methodist Church and my being asked to be the Prayer Point Person for our church in the Annual Conference, the prayer network chairwoman of the Conference asked each of the local churches to have a prayer vigil for the new conference’s Annual Conference. Our conference is a large one, think regional, across four states. I set it up with the pastor’s approval. We had 39 hours of prayer going up for that two-day meeting. I am thankful for the response to our effort.


We Have a New Children’s Director at Church


For several months, we have been without a Children’s Director. I heard we would have an announcement very soon about our new director. The Sunday before the pastor made it official, the new director talked to me about continuing to help with the Children’s message times. Our new children’s director is named Steve. Yes, you read that correctly. We have a male Children’s Director. God placed this role on his heart, and he already has some plans of what he will be doing.


I pray that you are enriched by the November theme, I will be exploring thankfulness throughout the month.




4 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your month and the things you are thinking about and planning and doing. You are very well organized. I wonder now which "One Word" you will finally decide upon? I don't usually decide until late December and announce it on January 1 if I know it for sure. I am happy that your church is already well on its way in the new Global Methodist Church. Our church has voted to disaffiliate and our official date to become Global is Dec. 1st. We are VERY happy about that!! I feel sad for the UMC churches who don't see the need to disaffiliate. The day will come when they will wish they had. Praying for our churches and our nation to turn back to God before it is too late. Congratulations on finding a new children's director. Praying for his ministry to the children, that it will be filled with the love of Jesus expressed to every child. Have a blessed November!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam: I thank you for your very complimentary thoughts. Our church has been through a lot of struggles. God has guided us through those times. He will continue to guide us through the days ahead. I know how happy you are about coming into a new denomination, actually a movement. Thank you for your prayers for Steve. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are happily busy with your new church duties and are doing your best to serve the congregation, Cecelia. Enjoy your participation as all gives God the honor and glory.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: Thank you for your kind words. Due to some of my aliments, I am not as active as others. But God knows what is best for me. Peace and blessings to you and yous.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

WORSHIP SONGS

VICTORY IN JESUS An old hymn with a different voice. A new song. Our praise band played and sang it. Jesus Strong and Kind This is one I rea...