Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Rejoice, Pray, Give Thanks

 

Pinterest


Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you,

                                                                                                  1 Thessalonians 5;16-18 (NKJV)


Words of Paul

Rejoice always, 

I received a phone call last evening. This was not a call one wants to receive. A friend let me know that her middle son had passed away. We had talked earlier that afternoon. All I could do was listen to her and pray. I was truly awake into the early morning hours over this news.

When I opened my daily planner this morning, there was the above scripture printed out for today (January 10).


How can I rejoice when my friend mourns her loss? I believe I can be thankful that she had him almost 53 years. I can be thankful that, when he was a young adult, he played baseball.


pray without ceasing, 


Whenever a friend or a family member of a friend passes away, I find myself very saddened and prayerful. Even if a friend receives a very serious diagnosis, I find myself going to God in prayer whenever I think of him or her.


in everything give thanks;


Paul tells the Thessalonians to give thanks IN EVERYTHING. Sometimes, that is difficult. In this instance, I give thanks for that son’s receiving good medical treatment for his condition. I thank Him for his mother who loved him unconditionally. I thank Him for his adult daughter who, I believe was there with her dad when he passed on. I thank Him for a cousin who was flying from Florida to see his cousin, hopefully, before he passed.


for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.


Sometimes, I have wondered if I am doing what God wants me to in certain aspects of my Christian walk. This scripture tells me whatever situation that He gives me knowledge of, I am to rejoice, pray, and give thanks.


8 comments:

  1. Oh, my heart goes out to the dear woman who just lost her son. It's never easy, even if you were prepared for it or knew it was coming...the "end" is always so very very hard. But when we know our loved one is with the Lord, our thoughts turn heavenward automatically. At least it was that way for me. I can "see" my son, healthy and happy in heaven and waiting for us to join him there someday. Yes, we still miss him and mourn his loss here greatly, and I know your friend will do the same. There will always be that empty place in her heart and home because he is no longer here in the flesh. But if we only knew how wonderful heaven really is, we would rejoice and give thanks at his place of peace and joy right now, in the Presence of Jesus. Praying for her, and also for you, as you look for ways to comfort your friend. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for understanding the need. Her youngest son is also needing prayer for a serious condition, Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. My heart goes out to your friend, Cecelia. As parents, we always assume that we will pass before our children; when that doesn't happen, many times we are left with more questions than answers. Paul's advice does not tell us to be grateful FOR all circumstances, but to be grateful IN them. Praying for this person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: Thank you for your prayers for my friend. Yes, Paul tells us to be grateful IN all circumstances. Sometimes i have to truly lean on the Lord in those difficult ones. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. O how sad. That makes our Bible, Gods message, more precious. We can use it in our prayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aritha: Thank you for your insightful and precious response, Peace and blessing to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. I am thankful that this friend has you for a friend- your listening ear and compassion. What a gift you are. Thank you for your faithfulness and sensitivity to the Lord. Prayers for you both, for the family and their loss and for your continued availability as the Lord leads. Love you, and praying for your writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn: Thank you for your kind words. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Is Anything That Bad?

  This is not my usual type of blog post. It is something that is on my mind and my heart. Please forgive me if I offend you for this deep s...