Monday, August 13, 2018

Strength in Times of Darkness

www.pinterest.com


Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places.
Habakkuk 3:17-19 (ESV)

Habakkuk paints a bleak picture of what his world would look like after a severe drought. It’s pretty sad to read his description. However, he doesn’t stop there.

He chooses to exclaim joy to the LORD, the God of his salvation who is his strength. In every time of personal crisis, if we take the time, we can find some small glimmer of joy and something praiseworthy on which we can concentrate. When we are able to do this, we can, with God’s help, surmount any obstacle the enemy puts before us.

When we seek God’s guidance, He gives us more strength than we can ever find on our own.  We may have times when nothing seems to be right. That’s when we need to really rely on the LORD for all things. When we feel empty inside, we need to ask God to get our bearings straight. He will provide a way through all the murkiness of this world.

Dear Lord: Thank You for providing for our safety, health, and comfort. Thank You for Your presence during times of stress, frustration, and doubt. Thank you for the strength to withstand all obstacles that the enemy puts in our way. In the Name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

7 comments:

  1. "...he makes my feet like the deer's;
    he makes me tread on my high places."
    Habakkuk 3:17-19

    These verses have special meaning for me. Have you ever read the book "Hinds Feet on High Places"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: Thank you for stopping in.I am sorry to say that I have not read "Hinds Feet on High Places. I did some research and found the original author(Hannah Hurnard) and an updated version(Darien B. Cooper). Which one did you read?

      Delete
    2. Hannah Hurnard's version. I have not heard of the updated version. I will have to look it up. No idea why they would update it... :/

      Delete
    3. Oh! I looked it up. It looks like Cooper's is a devotional based on the original.

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Sandi. I wanted to be sure I got the right one.

      Delete
  2. I love this Scripture, Cecelia. It shows a man focused on God, not the circumstances, no matter how bleak.
    Thanks for your encouragement to keep my eyes on Jesus, not the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette: We all have to learn to keep our eyes on the LORD. Go back and read this post and see how much the LORD has helped me.
      https://quietspirit-followingmyking.blogspot.com/2014/11/eucharisteo-Jesus-saved-me.html

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....