Friday, June 16, 2023

Forgiveness Is Vital

 




<I>...when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. </I> Mark 11:25 (NIV)


Words of Jesus


Jesus shares a very basic thought with His disciples, the importance of forgiveness.


What this passage tells me is the importance of forgiveness. In order for God to be able to forgive us of our sins, we have to forgive those whom we believe have caused us hurt.


A young woman was sobbing as I went into the restroom after church service one Sunday. She shared with me why she was terribly upset. An older woman who served on a committee with her had said something that was very hurtful about a project that the younger woman had worked on. As far as I know, the issue was not handled correctly. The result, the younger woman and her companion and eventually her daughter and grandchildren left the church. Also, the older woman seems to attend services spasmodically. In essence, as I see it, this issue never got resolved in a Christlike manner.


I wonder: How many times in Christ’s kingdom has forgiveness not been practiced when it should have been.


I have written before that when we can’t extend forgiveness to another person, we can ask God to forgive him or her for us. I have had to do this. It helped me to get over some deep hurts and to function in my life.


From time to time, we need to examine our lives to see whether we need to extend to or ask forgiveness of someone. This is very important to who we profess to be in our Christian walk.

4 comments:

  1. Forgiveness is as much for us as for the person being forgiven. It is a healing balm for the soul. Without it we become bitter and dried up inside. Yes, even if the other person never knows or cares about the forgiveness, it is still important for us to forgive regardless. Thank you for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Yes, forgiveness heals those who forgive and those who receive that forgiveness. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. The power of forgiveness can not be overstated, Cecelia. What a sad story about the young woman at church; I'm afraid that sort of thing happens way too frequently at our places of worship.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha Jane: You are so right. We can never overlook the power to forgive one another. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

In the Light of His Countenance

     Pinterest                                   Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound\!                  They walk, O Lord ,...