Friday, October 20, 2023

God’s Encouragement to His Children

 



For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord,

thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give

you a future and a hope.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)


Words of the Lord spoken through Jeremiah.


The Lord had just informed the exiles, who were being punished for sin, that the promise of peace would be fulfilled in 70 years.


They were to live their lives in Babylon like they would have lived them in Jerusalem. (verses 5-7) He also warns the exiles not to listen to the “false prophets and diviners” in their midst.


Now, I know how long 70 years is-that is seven decades. For a lot of people that is a lifetime.(Among those who were originally exiled were some who would never see home again. The younger generations would only know of Jerusalem through stories told to them by their elders.)


A lot of people really like the words of this verse and adopt it as their life verse. I was one who did. I saw it every day as I passed a Christian book store on the way to my dad’s to pick up my stepmother to take her to radiation treatments.


When I read the context, I learned more of what it meant. These words were an encouragement for the exiles that they could do well in Babylon and not be discouraged by the way they might be treated.

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved this verse, too, Cecelia. It is definitely full of encouragement and hope.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: Several years ago, a lot of my friends loved that verse. It is encouraging to me when I get down about some issues in my life. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Interesting that the words of encouragement were written to them for their time in exile. We don't always realize what people are going through when the deepest words of hope are being written. Perhaps we don't fully appreciate those words until we do go through periods of "exile" or sorrow and then when we get to the other side of that season we see how God was with us all the time. So thankful for God's Word...a light to our path in the dark times and the good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: You are so right. We don't realize that God has been with us until that stressful time has passed. I am so thankful that God is with us, His children, no matter what we find ourselves going through. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

WORSHIP SONGS

VICTORY IN JESUS An old hymn with a different voice. A new song. Our praise band played and sang it. Jesus Strong and Kind This is one I rea...