Friday, August 7, 2020

Mercy and God’s Love

fourcubitsandaspan.blogspot.com

 

 

Psalm 51:1-4

Have mercy on me, O God,

According to your unfailing love;

According to your great compassion

Blot out my transgressions.

Wash away all my iniquity

And cleanse me from my sin.

 

David pleads for God’s mercy for God to blot out his transgressions, to wash away his sins and remove any trace of sin from his heart.

For I know my transgressions,

And my sin is always before me.

Against you and you only have I sinned

And done what is evil in your sight,

So that you are proved right when you speak

And justified when you judge.

David knows what he did, and he knows it was sinful, and it will always be before him.

 

King David is being honest here. He knows he has been found out. The prophet Nathan confronted him about his affair with Bathsheba and all that entailed. We, who claim to belong to Jesus, must examine our lives and our hearts to find our transgressions and surrender ourselves to God. It is up to each of us to do this for ourselves, no one can do it for us.

David speaks honestly before the LORD. We must do likewise.

 

I am taking a break from blogging. I have some things to take care of and need to get refreshed. I have been running close to empty and need to replenish myself and take care of some other things. I will be back on Tuesday, September 1st.

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. See you upon your return to blogland. I often marvel at the very flawed people God chooses to do His work. David even caused the death of Bathsheba's husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra,Thank you for your kind thoughts. I love the meme that lists all the flawed people God used in the Bible. Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Psalm and the context. King David left for us so many amazing verses from his life and depth of His soul and love for God. THat we can read them in our prayer time and lift up our hearts and transgressions before the LORD is really amazing to think of that connection. Have a nice blog break and may you be refreshed by time away. Blessings💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayndel: Thank you for your warm thoughts. I have spent time reading the Psalms during this pandemic. They are beautiful and make me think about where I need to be in my walk with God. Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete
  3. thank you for this beautiful depiction of David's prayer of repentance and for forgiveness. We all need to be reminded of God's mercy and forgiveness and apply it to our own lives and to others' who may need to be forgiven. Hope you will have a pleasant and productive time away. Please get the rest and refreshing that you need and come back when you can! We will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for your well-wishes and your deeply-thought out comment about God's mercy and forgiveness. Peace and blessings to you

      Delete
  4. It is good to know that in Christ the work has been done for our forgiveness.

    Grace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. He forgives us as we ask. He doesn't wait to do it.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...